Hello, and thank you for taking the time to learn about what I contribute to Harmony Autism Therapy and how it impacts the children and families we serve!
I created more than just a business when Harmony Autism Therapy started. I have been providing ABA therapy to children since 1993 when Applied Behavior Analysis was just beginning to find its acceptance as an effective treatment for autism. Having over 2,000 hours of experience as a 1:1 ABA therapist before deciding to obtain the BCBA credential gave me the extensive experience needed to be an effective BCBA. My expertise goes far beyond consulting. I have served as clinic director, adjunct professor, parent educator, advocate, among other roles. These experiences have contributed to how I define Excellence in Autism Treatment. I understand that excellence in treatment is more than education, experience, and science- it’s making a long-lasting difference in the lives of not only children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, but also their families.
Excellence in autism treatment has a lot to do with putting together a team that is committed to being a part of a child’s progress. I have focused on building a team that sets us apart from others by having providers who love working with ASD children, and who are dedicated to each child’s learning experience.
Having a team that is committed and focused on supporting each other through communication and dedication only enhances each family’s experience as we strive to make a long-lasting difference in their lives.
I enjoy keeping Harmony Autism Therapy a small organization, so each child and each family member does not get lost or treated like just another client.
As a Behavioral Health Center of Excellence accredited provider, I am proud to say that my team is eager to evolve as professionals and are committed to continued success!
Selma Martinez, MS.Ed, BCBA
- Master of Science, Early Childhood Special Education
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), since 2002
- Developmental Therapist (DT), Early Intervention Credentialed, Illinois
- Behavior Analyst, Early Intervention Credentialed, Illinois
- Behavior Analyst Level 1, State of Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Secondary Education Teacher, Illinois State Board of Education, Type 09
- Learning Disabilities, Illinois State Board of Education approval
- Learning Behavior Specialist I (LBS1), Illinois State Board of Education approval
Masters in Early Childhood Special Education (M.S.Ed.)
Certified Developmental Therapist, State of Illinos Early Intervention approved
1 of less than 20 IL State approved and fully-credentialed Early Intervention BCBA
Why are these two credentials important for you to know?
Because becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) …
Requires 0 college coursework in Education!
Requires 0 formal teaching experience
Requires 0 coursework in childhood development (either typical or atypical)
- Over 2,000 hours of direct 1:1 treatment
- Serviced over 100 patients, with direct (hand-on) teaching of over 20 clients with at least 12 hours per week with each client. I got to know the daily struggles of parents and reasonable expectations of all team members involved.
- Opened the first private ABA school in Illinois which focused solely on Verbal Behavior
- Served as Clinical Director at Children’s Autism Center in Ft. Wayne, IN
- Provided graduate-level education as Adjunct Professor at Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Provided consultation to various school districts in Illinois and Michigan
- Consulted in London, Cyprus and Australia