Hello and thank you for taking the time to learn about Harmony Autism Therapy!
I opened Harmony Autism Therapy in 1993 as ABA Chicago, when Applied Behavior Analysis was just beginning to find its acceptance as effective treatment for autism. Having experience as a 1:1 therapist, consultant, clinic director, educator, advocate and other professional roles has contributed to how I would define excellence in autism treatment. I understand that excellence in treatment is more than education, experience and science.
Excellence in autism treatment has a lot to do with putting together a team that is committed to being a part of a child’s progress. I have focused on building a team that sets us apart from others by having a team that loves working with ASD children.
Having a team that is committed and focused on supporting each other through communication and dedication.
Although we are a small organization I am proud to say that my team is eager to evolve as professionals and are committed to continued success!
Selma Martinez, MS.Ed, BCBA
Board Certified Behavior Analyst
IL Early Intervention, Developmental Therapy
IL Early Intervention, Behavior Analyst
Masters in Early Childhood Special Education (M.S.Ed.)
Certified Developmental Therapist, State of Illinos Early Intervention approved
1 of less than 20 IL State approved and fully-credentialed Early Intervention BCBA
Why are these two credentials important for you to know?
Because becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) …
Requires 0 college coursework in Education!
Requires 0 formal teaching experience
Requires 0 coursework in childhood development (either typical or atypical)
- Over 2,000 hours of direct 1:1 treatment
- Serviced over 100 patients, with direct (hand-on) teaching of over 20 clients with at least 12 hours per week with each client. I got to know the daily struggles of parents and reasonable expectations of all team members involved.
- Opened the first private ABA school in Illinois which focused solely on Verbal Behavior
- Served as Clinical Director at Children’s Autism Center in Ft. Wayne, IN
- Provided graduate-level education as Adjunct Professor at Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Provided consultation to various school districts in Illinois and Michigan
- Consulted in London, Cyprus and Australia